Tuesday, November 11, 2008

A Film that Helped Me Better Understand Environmental Behavior

The readings this semester stroke me as appealing, but after watching Whytes film I looked at space differently. The Social Life of Small Urban Spaces created you to see the design principles and methodological strategies among the streets in the cities. This film developed me to observe the social interaction, audience, cars and people on Newbury Street.
Seating was important; it needed to be in your sight, comfortable and access to street views. Corners were the area you would find the most interaction. This also could be considered the audience. Although people had different opinions on there seating arrangement, majority chose to be near sunlight, water and street access.
This film described different methodological strategies. Observing, photography, record taking and diagramming were all mentioned. The most common one that everyone can relate to is observing. Being in a public area and seeing the diversity between activity, sociability and individuals brings a common reaction of staring. This strategy helped me when I had to observe my place of interest. After viewing this film it made me look at people different in space. The train ride for me is now a different journey. Before I use to travel on the train and focus on myself and schoolwork. As I approach it now I cant help but listen to my Ipod and observe others surrounding me

No comments: