Tuesday, October 7, 2008

How individuals make choices

This weeks observing session was relaxing and tended to get me excited for the fall season. The woods were very quiet probably because of the cold temperature outside. The trees are finally starting to change color patterns for the season. Although there weren’t many people to observe this week it brought me to thinking more about the open space without so much scattered movement
This week’s assignment was to focus on the mind in place, the perception changed quite a bit. The way I approached this was looking at the choice and control I have while I am at Blue Hills Reservation. Blue Hills is divided into three different trails; the red trail which is the easiest, the green which is moderate and the blue trail which is difficult.
Every week I like to come here for a good work out so I am usually in a state of mind to go hiking. My attitude was different this week and I was in the frame of mind to take a peaceful walk on the red trail. Walking through the woods I mainly paid attention to the choices nature makes by itself. I started to think how paths were created and how they are affected by people and how the land transforms from them. In my opinion I feel that paths are developed by people walking on them more and more every day. If you go over something everyday for so many years it eventually disappears.
The reason why I enjoy Blue Hills Reservation is because it is an area made of choices. You can choose to interact with other individuals or choose to be in your own mind frame. In this area it is easy to socialize with others because they all seem to have pleasant personalities. There are the trails with the level of difficulty you can choose that best fits your body type. In my case this all depends on how I am feeling that day. Every time I enter this green oasis I know it will be a different journey. I never know what to expect out of these visits and that is what I admire.
Another thing I think of is my perception and memory seems to have a different feeling each time. I always end up parking in the same lot once I get to Blue Hills and start in the same general area. But what I end up finding is that some of the same spots are still very comfortable but different feelings. Of course the changing seasons, i.e. leaves changing as well as snowfall and even temperature affect that as well.

No comments: